About the Green Health Challenges
Global Green and Healthy Hospitals (GGHH) is challenging its robust network of over 900 members representing the interests of more than 32,300 hospitals in 51 countries, to commit to reducing their environmental footprint via a new initiative: the Green Health Challenges.
The Green Health Challenges initially focus on two of the ten GGHH Sustainability Goals: Waste and Energy. They also include GGHH’s, 2020 Health Care Climate Challenge, which already has more than 158 member participants.
The Green Health Challenges are a data-driven initiative, designed to help healthcare organizations commit to sustainability goals and track their own environmental projects and efforts.
Each Challenge contains a series of targets, indicators and focus areas that provide a pathway for individual members, and for the GGHH network as a whole, to measurably reduce their footprint.
We have designed the Green Health Challenges with a multi-tier structure that allows members to pick and choose goals according to their specific capabilities and resources. This design aims to make the Challenges accessible to GGHH members of all sizes and levels of sustainability experience.
Through data submission on the Hippocrates Data Center, members can report, track and visualize their progress while contributing to an aggregated global view of the GGHH network’s efforts to reduce their environmental footprint.
As members achieve progress and reach Green Health Challenge milestones, they will receive public recognition through the international Green Health Awards.
The focus areas of each challenge align with the challenges of the Healthier Hospitals program in the United States, which have hundreds of hospital and health system participants. Healthier Hospitals is a program of Practice Greenhealth (GGHH’s implementation arm in the U.S.).
Every member can play a leadership role by engaging in the Green Health Challenges. Collectively members’ participation sends a powerful message to hospitals and health systems everywhere that we can achieve environmentally sustainable health care.
- Bogani Regional Hospital, South Africa
- CHU Mohammed V, Morocco
- Grey’s Hospital, South Africa
- Netcare Limited, South Africa
- Western Cape Government Health, South Africa
- Kathmandu Medical College, Nepal
- Kathmandu Model Hospital, Nepal
- National Kidney Centre, Nepal
- Tilganga Institute of Ophthalmology, Nepal
- CIUSSS du Nord-de-l’ile-de-Montreal
- Institut Philippe-Pinnel de Montreal
- Institut universitaire en santé mentale Douglas
- Northampton General Hospital NHS Trust, UK
- Sussex Community NHS Foundation Trust, UK
- Vivantes Hospital Neukölln, Germany
- Area de Salud Catedral Noreste, Costa Rica
- Hospital de Pediatría “Prof. Dr. Juan Pedro Garrahan”, Argentina
- Hospital San Rafael de Pasto, Colombia
- Hospital Universitario Austral, Argentina
- Hospital Universitario Departamental de Nariño, Colombia
- Hospital Universitario Santa Sofía de Caldas, Colombia
- Counties Manukau Health, New Zealand
- UnitingCare Queensland, Australia
- Western Health, Australia
To see the full list of participants of the Waste and Energy Challenges, click here.
To visit the list of participants of the 2020 Health Care Climate Challenge, click here.
- Click here to learn more about the Waste Challenge
- Click here to learn more about the Energy Challenge
2020 Health Care Climate Challenge
- Click here to learn more about the 2020 Health Care Climate Challenge